Christensen reveals his difficulties of playing for Chelsea. A shortlist of contenders to replace Antonio Conte is out. Chelsea’s £1billion stadium plans blocked by one family while Eden Hazard says ‘NEVER’ in response to Chelsea transfer rumors.
Christensen is an established first-teamer now. And on Tuesday he was rewarded with a new four and a half year contract, taking him up to June 2022. But the 21-year-old knows that he has to maintain his high-performance standards because if he gets sloppy he will lose his place.
“You can’t get comfortable here,” Christensen said after Chelsea’s 0-0 draw with Arsenal. “Even with the players we have here now you can’t feel comfortable, the players we have in the changing room.” That competition for places, Christensen says, creates an intense pressure to perform. “That is why it is so mentally hard because every time you play you have to perform and you can’t afford to make major mistakes.”
Chelsea are making plans for the departure of Antonio Conte this summer, according to reports. The Italian coach is being tipped to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, despite making a huge impact on the club.
Conte led Chelsea to the Premier League title last year after taking over in 2016. But has never had an easy relationship with the Chelsea hierarchy and is now fully expected to move on. The Daily Mail report that Chelsea have already started work on finding his replacement. They have identified managers who could take the helm in West London.
Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri and former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique are the leading contenders. Allegri has won three Serie A titles in Turin. However, his contract runs until 2020 which could make him difficult to prise away from Juventus.
Enrique quit as Barcelona manager last summer having led them to two La Liga titles and the Champions League during three years at the Nou Camp.