Barcelona has completed the signing of Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool after he passed his medical on Monday. The La Liga giant paid what is believed to be £142m to get their man. They tried to land him last summer when Neymar left to join PSG but the Premier League side blocked the transfer. Bayern Munich legendary winger Franck Ribery has said Cristiano Ronaldo stole his Ballon d’Or award in 2013.
For this and more La Liga news, enjoy;
4. Ronaldo stole 2013 Ballon d’Or from me- Bayern Star claim
Bayern Munich legendary winger Franck Ribery has said Cristiano Ronaldo stole his Ballon d’Or award in 2013. The Frenchman helped his club lift a treble for the first time in history. They defeated Borussia Dortmund in the final of UEFA Champions League, lifted Bundesliga title and the League Cup. He was nominated for the coveted award but finished third behind Messi and CR7.
“It was as if it was stolen from me,” Ribery told Canal.
“It’s incomprehensible. I won every trophy, I couldn’t have done more. It was an injustice.”
The winger blames his country France for not backing him to win the award. He believes the 2010 World Cup fiasco must be the reason why nobody wanted him to lift the award.
“I didn’t have my country behind me,” he claimed.
“I saw it with my own eyes that the French said Cristiano should win. Did the Portuguese want it to be Ribery or Messi? Of course not.”
“In 2010, they needed someone to blame,” he said.
“Everyone in France believed I was the problem – even my parents.
“I can’t forget the actions of certain French media. It’s a scar that stays with me, it was too much.”
No other player has won the award in the last 10 years since Kaka lifted the award. The Portuguese and the Argentine share five apiece.
3. Zidane makes a BIG statement and Chelsea & Man United fans will LOVE It
Chelsea and Manchester United fans can sleep well again because Real Madrid Coach Zinedine Zidane is not planning to sign new players this January. The Los Blancos was once again linked with several players from both clubs including David De Gea and Eden Hazard. However, the Frenchman has said he intends to work with the current group for now.
“As we all know, until Jan. 31, someone can come in — this is the market — but I do not want anyone as I am happy with my squad,” Zidane said.
“I remember last year there were no problems like this, as Madrid was doing well, playing well, but when a team is going a bit bad, as can happen sometimes, there is the talk of transfers — but I am not that type of coach.
“We are still in three competitions and will give our best until the end of the season. We must hit our level now and show what we can do. We are very motivated. We have no room for error left this season, but we are very excited about that.”
“I do not need a goalkeeper, as the coach, at the moment,” he said.
“In June if there are changes, and we sit down and talk, maybe there are positions we can sign players. These are two years without any player coming here. The moment comes when you could have a debate, but today I do not see that.”