Football Clubs rarely promote players to the first team these days. The game has changed so much that players like Marcus Rashford and Harry Kane must count themselves very lucky. They are just some of the few players who got lucky. Clubs are investing so much money in developing academies but still not promoting players. Today, we take a look at six clubs proud of producing world-class stars in the Premier League era (1992- To Date)
6. Arsenal- Ashley Cole
— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) March 23, 2017
Arsenal fans may not want to admit but Ashley Cole is their best academy product in recent history. The left-back came through the youth ranks at the club. He made his first-team debut in 1999. He went on to become a reliable fullback. He played 228 matches in all competition for the Gunners scoring 9 goals.
Cole was on the team that went a full season unbeaten in 2004. He was also on the team that played and lost to Barcelona in 2006 Champions League final. In 2006, the former England defender made a shock move to rivals Chelsea and the success continued.
- Premier League (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
- FA Cup (3): 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05
- FA Community Shield (2): 2002, 2004
- Premier League (1): 2009–10
- FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
- League Cup (1): 2006–07
- FA Community Shield (1): 2009
- UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12
- UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13
5. Liverpool- Steven Gerrard
Who is your favorite #Liverpool player ever?
Mine is Steven Gerrard! 🔴 pic.twitter.com/C1feFZcnh8
— The Liverpool FC News (@TheLiverpoolFCN) September 22, 2018
Liverpool remained relevant all over the World in the last two decades because of Captain Steven Gerrard. The influential midfielder was a force at Anfield for almost two decades. He came through the ranks to earn his place in the starting line-up. He went on to replace Sami Hyypiä as the club captain in 2003 until his last day at the Club.
- FA Cup: 2000–01, 2005–06
- Football League Cup: 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12
- FA Community Shield: 2006
- UEFA Champions League: 2004–05
- UEFA Cup: 2000–01
- UEFA Super Cup: 2001
4. Chelsea- John Terry
Don't miss our exclusive interview with John Terry, now live in the app!
Find out what's next in store for JT… 👀
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) September 14, 2018
Former Captain John Terry is the best Chelsea product ever in their history. The Blues legend made his debut in 1999 and he went on to become one of the most consistent defenders in Europe. He lifted all trophies available in Club level during his time at the Club. The centre-back also skippered England. In a club that rarely promotes players from the academy, he will remain the best from Stamford Bridge youth ranks for many years.
- Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10, 2014–15, 2016–17
- FA Cup: 1999–2000, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
- Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
- FA Community Shield: 2005, 2009
- UEFA Champions League: 2011–12
- UEFA Europa League: 2012–13