Arsenal Football Club is a professional football club from Highbury, London, England. It was formed as Dial Square by munitions workers in Woolwich, now South East London, on 1 December 1886. A month later, they turned their name to Royal Arsenal. A year later, they registered their new name as Woolwich Arsenal. In 1914, they reduced Woolwich Arsenal to simply The Arsenal. All in all, here are nine crazy facts you need to know about Arsenal.
9. Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League
Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904.
8. They hold the highest number of FA Cup trophies
Arsenal also stand as the King of FA Cup. They hold the highest number of FA Cup trophies, with 13.
7. One of the ONLY six clubs to have won the Premier League since its formation in 1992
Arsenal are one of only six teams to have won the Premier League since its formation in 1992. The others are Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Manchester City and Leicester City.
6. Champions League record of going ten matches without conceding a goal
Arsenal set a Champions League record during the 2005–06 season by going ten matches without conceding a goal. They went a record total stretch of 995 minutes without letting an opponent score.
5. Arsene Wenger is Arsenal’s ONLY manager from outside the United Kingdom
Arsène Wenger is Arsenal’s longest-serving manager, in terms of both lengths of tenure and number of games overseen. The Frenchman Wenger was born in Strasbourg and raised in Duttlenheim.
4. Two Arsenal managers have died in the job (Herbert Chapman and Tom Whittaker)
Herbert Chapman went on to become one of the most successful and influential managers in early 20th-century English football, before his sudden death in 1934. A bronze bust of Chapman stands inside Emirates Stadium as a tribute to his achievements at Arsenal. Tom Whittaker, while still at the helm of Arsenal, died of a heart attack at the University College Hospital, London in 1956, at the age of 58.
3. Arsenal is the ONLY club with a GOLDEN Premier League trophy
After Arsenal completed the only 38-match season unbeaten, the Premier League commissioned a special unique gold version of the Premier League trophy and presented it to the club to commemorate the achievement.
2. The first football clubs to wear numbered shirts
In August 1928, Arsenal, alongside Chelsea, made history by becoming the first football clubs to wear numbered shirts.
1. The first ever live radio commentary of a football match was between Arsenal and Sheffield
In 1927, the first ever live radio commentary of a football match took place, between Arsenal and Sheffield United. Arsenal played in the first match broadcast live on television, against their reserve counterparts in 1937. Since then, they participated in the world’s first live 3D and interactive football matches, both with Manchester United.